Thursday, January 20, 2005

The latest, from SFA

today i had the honor of playing and singing (at the same time) a song for my accompanying class. yes, and not only that, i had the added pleasure of learning it in 45 minutes. thankfully none of you were there to hear it (at least i don't think so). anyway... they said "good job" and that was that. no more required singing for the rest of the semester. next fall i think i'll learn this lesson and prepare something before hand since i know he's (dr. petti, my accompanying teacher) going to demand it at the beginning of the semester. i ought to tape all us piano players singing for class when we do this assignment and put it on funniest home videos. yeah.

i believe i mentioned getting a bridge for my violin. well, i didn't have it put on by a "professional" because of the price. it would cost, like, ten times as much to have it put on as the price of the bridge itself. so i talked to dr rychev (my violin teacher's husband, not that any of you would care or necessarily know anything about either of them, but they are totally awsome) and he recommended that i have it done by a "professional." but when i whined about the cost and stuff and said i thought i might be able to do it myself, he kind of got this dreamy look in his eyes, and started talking about how he did it with his cello when he was my age. so he got all excited and started jabbering with his heavy accent and drawing diagrams to show me how to do it (pleeeease tell me dr. rychev is never going to read this blog.) :-p so i'm ready to try it. since i like doing this sort of thing, and since i'm so worried about doing it just right, i'm sure it will be fine. especially considering my level of playing and the other weird fixes i've already made to my violin (like the white electric cable tying the back of the strings to the end pin since the real stuff broke).

i found out that they have an intramurals table set up at the uc. and they do have intramural table tennis!! hurray! my wildest dreams come true!! so yeah. basically i have every intention of joining a team. which reminds me, i have a ping-pong-in-the-lobby appointment.

wow, everyone's doing great on the commenting. i feel guilty. i'll try to get around to comment on all y'alls blogs too.

Jordan the Great Has Spoken

p.s. maybe i'll show a picture of my violin with the new bridge whenever it's finished

5 Comments:

Blogger C. Bright said...

Ah, a song sung to sight reading while one's brain is occupied with playing, sorry that I wasn't there physically but as an old Chinese Pea once said "The ears of a friend reach round the world and warbling can cover the face of the earth like the june bug".

::cough::

Yeah. Whatever that was.

Anywho, on to Dr. Rychev, I have not seen him in SOOOO long! Isn't the Bulgarian accent just the best?! Better not let Ben catch sight of this post, 'cause he was Evgeny's student for quite a while; he even gave us trio lessons at one point. And yup, Dr. Dalmas (is that spelled right?) absolutely rocks the world. My current teacher, Pam (yes, she has a last name, but to all the world she's just PAM), makes Dr. Dalmas look like a gentlehearted dream. Lucky you. Oh, and about the bridge, I mean wow dude, that seems to be the whole improv string-it-up-with-little-flashing-lights-while-you're-at-it sorta thing. I'm impressed (or, worried) that you appear to be so much smarter (or, dumber, as it were) than us other fiddlists.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Actually, all those silly little things I've been mumbling over the years suddenly seem more abrupt when they're typed out Hmmmm. Better end this comment before I get head of myself...

P.S. Yeay me! I've now commented on everybodys blog and I got to be the first one to comment on this entry. Yeay me!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

::another comment follows hard behind::

Dr. Raychev is the best! We love 'im. I'll have to post a photo of him giving Ben a lesson.

Hey, I'm sure your singing wasn't too bad. It couldn't have been any worse than singers from Bulgaria. Dr. Raychev says that the really great Bulgerian singers work very hard to achieve the highest form of singing - to be able to sound like a goat. I'm serious, he told me that. He had a twinkle in his eye but he was telling the truth and he was very proud of it too. Different cultures, you know. So next time you sing, just try to sound like a great Bulgarian singer and you should do just fine.

And this ping-pong thing - just don't let it get out of hand or I'll have to tell your mother.

6:00 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

i have been inspired. ahem. to sing like a great bulgarian singer. :-o though my first attempt in aural skills class was greeted by stunning silence and immediate monopoly of the class's attention. hmmm. i like! till next time...keep singin'.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Feanor said...

I must have ancient bulgarian roots, singing like a goat comes very natural to me. I'm at the library, isn't high speed internet tremendous? I'm sure the repaired version of you violin will be just as good or better then the original, or at least it will be original looking :). You've yet to comment on my blog, is it to random for your precise mind?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Feanor said...

I must have deep Bulgarian roots, singing like a goat comes very natural to me. I'm sure your repaired violin will look fine, or at least original. You've yet to comment on my blog is it to random for your um precise mind?

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home