Monday, May 22, 2006

Back to the Grind

i know that's a cliche kind of way to begin a post. but since when have i avoided cliche's? besides, it was totally what i actually did. grind. i ground aluminum with various files for at least 7 hours, with a few interjections of relief to help move big signs around, hold ladders, lay a little vinyl, or simply go to the bathroom for a change of pace.

i met the newish emplyee who came just after i left last summer. apparently he's the prankster type, and has been anxiously asking dale about the "new meat" coming. now when i heard that he was a prankster, i'm not sure what sort of a person i was expecting, but i know i wasn't expecting a man of about 50 with an almost-white beard. i suppose that "once a prankster, always a prankster..." or something like that. anyway, i was sort of anticipating what sort of tricks he might have up his sleeve. however, he did absolutely nothing, other than crack a few un-memorable jokes. it could be that since i've worked there before, already know all the people, and don't need to be trained, that i'm not such a helpless fish out of the water, and therefore less vulnerable. or maybe he's just biding his time, waiting for the perfect moment to strike when i least suspect it. OR maybe it's because i already saved him from the horrible human-eating clam sign of terror (courtesy of chicken express), which tried to eat him during inspection of its innards.

then i had myself a double cheeseburger and practiced for a couple of hours. started learning another new bagatelle. oh! i went jogging this morning. so yeah, that was good. i'm going to hopefully go to bed early tonight. last night i could not for the life of me get to sleep! woe was (?) me, tossing and turning. i dont' think that's going to be a problem tonight.

bombinate \BOM-buh-nayt\, intransitive verb:To buzz; to hum; to drone.

"Sometimes the computer bombinates way into the night, stops for a bit of rest, then resumes its hum at the early hours of the morning."-- Cheryl Glenn and Robert J. Connors, New St. Martins Guide to Teaching Writing

mine does that too, minus the "stops for a bit of rest" part.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

'Hope you can get to sleep early tonight. I've tried for years and have been found successful only a few times in my life. Ha! I guess "once a night owl, always a night owl". I can say this, however; whenever I do finally make it to bed, I'm "out like a light" almost immediately, and in the morning,not even a hair has been disturbed. :) Ah, yes...I love my sleep, even in its brevity. :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

My first night at home in almost a month and I'm wide awake. Was it something I ate? Who knows. I hope you had better luck than I.

I think he's biding his time. Keep your head on a swivel;)

I've been wanting to see flight 93, and knowing me, I'll probably drown myself in tears and end up getting a sinus infection or something. Oh well.

By the way nice car.
Me gusta mucho.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's biding his time. Trust me. I was able to "not get got" until about 2 weeks ago...but it did eventually happen. The Robert is an irresistable force.

4:40 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

heeeey guys. i sort of got to bed early. more like "on time." and i slept quite soundly.

and turtle, i definitely got that impression from robert today (does he ever go by bob? i think i should start calling him bob). he said exactly what i speculated in my post. namely, "i'm holdin' off o'em fer a few days since he dun pulled that sign offa me."

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say, get him before he gets you. The best defense is a good offense. Why just wait around in anxious anticipation?

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home