Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Pursuit of God

the first chapter of A. W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God really encouraged and convicted me this evening. i can't share the whole thing with you (unless you would like to borrow the book some time), but i did want to share a very simple (and i think beautiful) prayer that tozer wrote at the end of the chapter. i hope you find it encouraging, and perhaps even find a few words to borrow for your own prayer time.

Oh God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

...how unspeakably beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your treasured find with us. :)

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of those...."words I don't have" things that you were talking about.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

Thank you; I have always loved that beautiful prayer...I have it typed up by my computer, and it's an ever-constant reminder to continually want to want Him...even in the middle of crazy, weird semesters.

God bless, Jordan.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home