Monday, January 24, 2005

Just Keep Studying, Just Keep....

i can now see that there will definitely be some studying involved in my classes this year. mhmmm. what an amazing thing. there's lots of reading associated with history and physics. go figure. so, while both of those things are calling my name, i decided to write in my blog (since it has been a couple of days).

did some piano and violin practice done. worked some more on my violin bridge. had my first violin lesson. i have to admit that dr. dalmus didn't seem as excited as me about my attempt at doing it myself. i'm sure she will be when she hears how beautiful it sounds when i'm done. as for actually playing my instrument...um, i've got some work to do. there's lots i've forgotten since i last played and lots that's coming back that i need to learn how to forget (like only using the top half of my bow). yeah, i see some knowing heads nodding out there. i was working on not gripping the bow too hard with my thumb, since it needs to be flexible and movable, not in a vice. i mentioned that it would probably need to be loose for me to do vibrato (sp*?) and dr. dalmus said, "oh, we won't start working on that for at least a couple of weeks." i was like hmmmm. THAT'S NOT VERY FAR AWAY!!! i know, it's an old hat skill for all you other string players, but i never did learn (shame on me).

also accompanied my singer in his studio class today. it went pretty well. fortunately he doesn't sing in that fine bulgarian way, except when he has a bad cold. though i must admit a
b-flat, g-#, to a, while i was playing an a, was eating his lunch. he just couldn't make himself sing the dissonant g-# while i was playing the a that he wanted to resolve to. poor guy. let me tell you, i could feel his pain.

had my first haircutting experience today. 'nuff said. oh, except that it wasn't my hair i was cutting. it was not big deal.

and guess what else i did today? i know you can't...huh? what?? yeah... ok you guessed. yes i played ping pong. i probably don't even need to mention that anymore do i? from now on i can just blog about it if i didn't play. that's when it will be a big deal. though i did actually lose a couple of games. so it was actually really fun!

well, i'm enjoying my christmas coffee pot from my dad. made myself a pot last night, and drank it all before i went to bed. pretty smart thinkin' huh? nothin' like little caffeine to help ya go to sleep. not to mention the added light and noise from a room mate. ok, he was only up because i went to bed early. he's a great room mate. he was actually considerate enough to turn off the over head light. but i still pulled my beany over my eyes and put my earphones on and quietly listened to some music. i bet he though i looked really weird. ummm... where was i? oh! coffee. so yeah, i think i'll go make some right now to eat while i study.

well, good night. more squeakings and creakings and tinkings on my instruments to do in the moanin'. isn't that a great word? so descriptive of a morning for me.

ping pong forever

3 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I think ping pong playing helps vibrato, doesn't it?

12:51 AM  
Blogger Abigail... said...

sounds like you like your coffee the right way...when people accidently say 'eat' you KNOW it must be good ;-)

8:10 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

you know what?? you're right!! ping pong does help vibrato!!! that's been my plan all along.

and just to let y'all in on a little secret, "eating" my coffee was deliberate. one of evan and i's little sayings is, (when asked if you're thirsty) "i'm not thirsty, i'm just hungry for a niiiiiiice, biiiiiite of waaater."

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home