Sunday, August 14, 2005

Hair Cuts

we've just been discussing hair cuts here in the kitchen, as my father is currently experiencing a trim under the skilled hands of madre. then we started talking about who cuts who's hair and how much money you can save by having your mother or wife cut it, and how if you get your hair cut all the time at one place they might think you died if you suddenly stopped coming.

i'm just curious, how many people have their hair cut by a family member? does your mom cut your hair? your wife? your DAD??? i haven't heard that one, but hey, men should theoretically be able to cut hair too. we tend to get a lot of practice on the bottom half of the face, just not the top of the head. anyway, as many of you know, i tend toward the "no haircut" plan. with this plan you spend almost nothing. i mean, what could possibly be cheaper than not spending any money?

HAHAHAHAHA!!! mom just said, "AGGHH!!! shoot!!!" papa instantly replied, "just buzz it." "AGGG!!! SHOOT!!!just buzz it." mom - "well, in a week it'll be fine." papa - "yeah, i'll just cancel my interview tomorrow because of a bad hair day."

anyway, that's your current events for the evening.

i like this word. except i really don't think it sounds like what it means. i just walked through the muggy, but not entirely unpleasant evening air, accross the lawn and stone walk way, with a skip in my step, a snap in my fingers, and a song breathing accross my lips, and i thought "schmaltzy." it sounds way too light hearted for it's literal meaning. maybe i shall just change the definition in my own mind.

schmaltz·y also schmalz·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (shmälts)adj. Informal schmaltz·i·er, schmaltz·i·est
Of, relating to, or marked by excessive or maudlin sentimentality. See Synonyms at
sentimental.
schmaltzi·ness n.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah my mom or wife cuts my hair. and i cut my dad's hair.

and once i let my dad cut my hair, but i probably won't let him do it again.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

my mom doesn't cut my hair anymore. i went that route for 16 years and then randomly decided that i might like to have it shorter than my waist and layered...thus i now employ the schooled hand of a hairdresser. Though i'm far from a good customer, seeing how i make it in about 2x a year. my brothers and father are completely cared for by my mother though..so she's still got business.

11:05 PM  
Blogger C. Bright said...

Lol on your dad's hair.

Yes, in case you don't recognize this very infrequent commenter, I used to be a cabbage (before I got grumpy, like I am this morning).

Aaanywho. In answer to your query, I do indeed employ my madre as well. Great price, very efficient.

And you're wrong (I'm afraid to say) about schmaltzy. My music teacher, Mrs. Deptula used it *all* the time, and it sounds exactly like what it means, I would know!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Abigail... said...

I hate getting my hair cut...and ironically enough I was JUST discussing it with my sister and my mom this weekend- one of those chicken or the egg conversations...is it because I hate all haircuts that my hair is long, or is it that I like long hair therefore hate all haircuts? hmmm....so deep, so deep...

11:51 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

i like the latter idea, "like long hair, therefore hate all haircuts." i am definitely a fan of really long hair.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, it was good to meet you Sunday. i enjoyed looking in on your blog...see you (talk w/you, comment on your blog some time) again.

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jordan, it was very nice to meet you on Sunday. I look forward to reading you blog from now on while I am in China. The haircut situation over there is going to be very interesting. Maybe I should learn to cut my own???? I would end up without an ear. Oh well.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have your e-mail, & I know I'll forget before I see ya tomorrow, so I'm posting this to the blog. (sorry 'bout it being off-topic)

Anyway, here's that link for the Tower of Hanoi game I was talking about. ...I KNEW there was something wrong with the description I was giving you of it. There's actually 3 posts & 1 stack of disks. 3 is easy, but tryin' it at 8 or 12 will cause a brain anuerism.

http://www.mazeworks.com/hanoi/

btw, here's a reminder to bring my movies. I'm waving "Kung-Fu Hustle" in the background as incentive. -G-

Abtw, I did a post-post... (the first post is meant as the opposite of "pre" & the second post is meant as "comment") ...couldn't resist making things complicated.... anyway, a post-post on the Fire story. (Had to defend my positon of standing there while you burned alive.)

Good chess game btw. Next time I shall CRUSH you! ...I hope.
Dia Farim,
Turtle/JD

5:40 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I cut anyone's hair who gets close enough and still enough. (Abigail beware.)

But on the other hand I'm a secret fan of long hairs on both genders.

A contradiction, I know.

6:45 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

hey aunt donnave and ryan! the pleasure of our meeting is mine! i did look at your blog real fast ryan, but i haven't had a chance to comment yet. let me welcome you to my humble site!

btw turtle, my email address is listed here on my blog. but your comment works fine. ;-) thanks for the incentive... i'm fetching your movies as we speak.

wow, i never knew i was in such danger around you, shiloh! i'll bear that in mind next time you're near...

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh MY! I am in mucho danger with some of this crowd. (0_0)

I haven't my hair cut in over a year (altho I AM making plans to go to a friend of a friend stylist). Last time I had my hair trimmed (over a year ago, yes) it was 42 inches long. And yes, it's kind of a pain on the bike. (>_<)

With apologies to my own madre, I would NEVER allow her to trim my hair! LOL!

Anyway, I know what some are saying about liking long hair. Male or female, I find it preferrable.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I resent that remark, Ms. Kagami! -G-

btw, did I mention I plan to let my own start growin' again when Fall sets in?

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home