Sunday, September 24, 2006

Schedule of Death

i am so thankful for the preaching of the word of god. honestly i don't know what i'd do without going to church, singing hymns of praise with fellow believers, and listening to scripture. earlier this week i had a conversation with someone about churches and history and various sects of the christian religion. it was actually rather frustrating because i felt like for all his head knowledge and questions about "what is truth?" that he didn't really want to know the truth. well, that's probably not true. i think most likely he did want to know the truth, but he was more interested in arguing for both sides of dssagreements on things like being saved by grace as opposed to being saved by works, etc. he wanted me to know how his church was the original greek orthodox church which split from the catholics in the great schism. he wanted to ask me "if there is truth, but all these different denominations each have their own version, how do you reconcile the differences?" and let me tell you. it is through faithful seeking after god that we find out what truth is. by reading the bible. by praying over the bible. by dying to the flesh every day and giving yourself and your life to christ. his grace saves you (and me) and it carries us through every trial and hardship. his spirit ministers to our spirit and lives within us and directs our paths with gentle guidance. we are safe with our good shepherd. i honestly don't care which denomination's roof you hide under. i know that there is one god and i know that he lives within me. i was encouraged about that today. 1 peter really blessed me. i highly recommend it's full perusal if you are in need of comfort or encouragement. even if you don't think you are, you just might find it refreshing. i have to go now to study. i hope i didn't ramble too much. god bless you all and have a wonderful week.

oh yeah, the schedule of death. i nearly published the post before i wrote about it. i suppose my schedule this semester is part of the reason i needed encouragement so much. i just created a new list of daily activities and stuff. i will have virtually no free time (except for a few hours on the weekend) between the hours of 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. every day. let me hasten to add that i don't imagine myself to be the only one oppressed by the iron hand of surfin' steve (or the fists of any of your bosses or whatever) but just looking at that schedule on the fridge does not make me a happy camper. i wouldn't complain if anyone were to mention my name in their prayers. by the way, i take prayer requests too. later.

11 Comments:

Blogger Paige said...

Your name was already in my prayers, but now I have something specific to pray for. I, too, am almost too busy to sleep, which of course results in less overall actually getting accomplished. In addition to 1 Peter, I'd recommend 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, Romans 12:9-21 (vs 12 specifically), as well as Romans 15:13. There are a million other wonderful "Scripture bites," but those are a few that have encouraged me and kept me going the past couple months.

xoxo to my brother in Christ. ;)

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just so encouraged to see you engaged in the battle. We already know the outcome - that your faith will be tried and purified for His glory. Who is surfin' Steve, btw?

10:24 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

yes, those are wonderful verses as well. thanks for including them. isn't it great the way all that incouragement is right at our finger tips?

surfin' steve is mr stephen f. austin, who's statue is surfing in the middle of a large fountain next to the library. he looks very noble.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Amy Thorne said...

A ginormous turquoise elephant just flew by and told me that marshmellow chocolate sprite is the cure to all dooming and desctructive schedules, but jumping out of my second story window always did the trick for me.

1:51 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

you make me smile.

:)

7:22 PM  
Blogger maryincalifornia said...

Jordan! It's good to know you have a blog! Maybe we can keep up this way :) Sounds like you have a crazy schedule - you will be in my prayers! Take care friend :)

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just wrote you a long encouraging comment about how great you are and how I'll be praying for you (and if I can help you to please ask)...

It deleted it.

You're still awesome.

10:23 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

hey. thanks for praying.

sorry blogger deleted you. i'm so suspicious of things like that now, that i always copy everything i just wrote before i post it or send it.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

What a great God we serve! Glad I popped by and read this one, Jordan.

See ya' later.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Leighanne said...

Indeed, Our God is so amazing!!!!

1 Peter is good, but I think my favorite has got to be James. It's so practical. :-)

Looks like I might be taking the university by storm this spring -- Dad is looking at me taking biology and communications as dual credit. Fun. I have five semesters and two summers left before I graduate, so if I take two classes a semester, the way he sees it I should be at least halfway done with my bachelor degree by the time I graduate!!!!

Isaiah 25:1
"O LORD, You are my God; I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name; For You have worked wonders, Plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness."

God bless!

~JCP

6:35 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

hey hey. sounds like great fun taking concurrent courses. you know, evan is doing that too. but gosh, biology? have fun with that... starting college with that kind a jump start is excellent though. i wish you the best of luck, and probably i'll see you on campus at some point once you start. laters.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home