Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentines

in light of the fact that my extended absence has gotten out of hand, and a request for specific stories, i am here posting when i should be doing spanish homework. which, sadly, i REALLY don't want to do. i fell angry with my teacher for giving me so much homework. he gives us so much that i spend hours finishing it without actually having enough time to do detailed study. if i do my detailed study i'll never get around to filling out his pages of spanish worksheets and answering a gazillion questions. but that has nothing to do with what i got on here to write about.

yesterday was valentine's day. feliz día de los enamorados. or something like that. if yours wasn't happy, i'm sorry. mine was. if you consider kitchen fires fun.

where was i. oh yes. yesterday was valentine's day. so of course i bought things. chocolatey things, and flowery things that make girls smile. being the way i am, i actually wanted heather to think that i hadn't done anything, and that i wasn't going to see her last night. of course i ended up just acting strange and suspicious, but whatever. i told her that i was going to call and let her know if i could make it, since i would probably be too tired from lack of sleep... (which, if i actually used that as my excuse and remained absent would have received a lameness score of 10). i didn't call. instead, i came straight to lufkin and hid behind her house. that's not a creepy thing to do.

she called me (wondering why i hadn't called yet) and i told her i was still in nac. then after she went inside i brought her flowers, chocolate, card (and myself) to the front door and apparently made her day. it was such a joyful occassion of love and chocolate delight that we decided to do laundry.

with the laundry in el maquina de lavar (or some similar thingy) and a dvd getting started, heather whipped out the chicken t...... don't even ask me how to spell that. sounds like "terry" and "hockey", except without the "h" in hockey. the oil went into the pan. the stove went on high. i went into the living room. heather went... to change clothes? bad choice. as i waited and regarded the passing previews blandly, something caught my attention. i realized that the remarkable flaming picture on the tv was in fact a reflection of the exciting proceedings taking place behind me in the kitchen. a 2 ft tower of flame was quietly swirling up and licking the cabinets. being the quick thinker that i am, and knowing that it would be a shame to burn those fine cabinets, i removed the offending pot of flame from the stove top. the oil swirled around nicely, causing the flames to leap out after my hand. logically, looking out for the best interest of my skin, i set pot of flames on the floor. the linoleum floor. after some more quick thinking, it occurred to me that the sink would be a better place, and there the bowl of fire soon extinguished itself. don't worry, i didn't put any water on it.

i'm sorry. that's the end of the story. the house was full of smoke. the "no-stick" pan was damaged. there is a black ring on the kitchen floor. a smoke detector might be in order.

my friends, i must finish spanish and find my bed. quickly. goodnight!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah! Cooking can sometimes be a 2-person job, but hopefully not that way! Sounds like a blast (and a Valentine's day you won't ever forget).

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why, but this is one of the funniest blog entries I've read in a while. Good show.

- India

7:23 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hi there, Jordan!

Despite the fact that I've "fallen off the face of the earth" (way too heavy a course load) this is one blog entry I'm certainly glad I managed to catch. ...How simultaneously endearing and endangering; I agree that you'll not soon forget this Valentine's Day. :)

Truly though, why be ordinary, when one could spend their days in an extraordinary fashion, right? :)

Be sure you and Heather don't feel too badly about it. I caught a kitchen on fire once, too. (It was actually a cousin-masterminded scheme, but I've quietly borne the blame, for years now.) :)

Bye! I hope you'll have a great week!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Leighanne said...

Oh yeah, you earned lots of bonus points with the Nolans...hehe.

I was going to tell you how to spell Teriyaki, but somebody's already done it.....*sigh*

He keeps me singing as I go....

~JCP

3:29 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

hello, all you smiling faces. smiling words...



who keeps you singing as you go??

3:34 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Happy times in the kitchen. And more to come, no doubt.

Looking forward to meeting Heather. :-)

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you stopped by....that means I just missed you in the lab. Aw!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home