Monday, August 22, 2005

Chess Anyone?

nothing of import occurred at work today. except i lettered a logging truck cab. that was pretty cool.

but guess what? i think i'm about to enter CHESS FREAK mode AGAIN!!! don't be alarmed; this happens to me periodically. but lately, since john and i have been playing at work, and thomas and my brother just played at our house today, and then i played my brother this evening, i realized that i'm probably about to start reading chess books again. i'll be going crazy playing anybody i can kidnap who knows the rules, and reading strategies, replaying the masters "works of art" from old championship matches, and all that sort of thing. anybody up for chess? i will totally meet you at java jacks and play chess if you want to! aaaaanyway, since that's the only place to direct my freakedness at the moment, i thought i'd share it with you.

if you haven't seen the last post's comments yet, check out comments 4 and 5, as well as any comments others may have added since. it's quite interesting, and i want to hear more imput, if you're so inclined. actually, it's not quite interesting. but if you're geeky enough about words and definitions you might be entertained.

schadenfreude \SHOD-n-froy-duh\, noun:A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others.
"He died three years after me -- cancer too -- and at that time I was still naive enough to imagine that what the afterlife chiefly provided were unrivalled opportunities for unbeatable gloating, unbelievable schadenfreude." --Will Self, How The Dead Live

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I'm afraid I'd present no challenge. I'm FAR too impatient for chess. *sigh*

3:10 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

speed chess?? ;-)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Abigail... said...

I had the most amazing time with my dictionary last night...seriously, just looking up words is my idea of a good time....

*sigh*
I should really tone down my "coolness" factor before it gets out of control.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to go with the "whole new" and "another" combo. yeah, words are one of my favorite games, also. same for all the coolest people i know. jim, gail and charles, joel, ryan, abbey (and all her immediate family), justin, corey, christopher, and, now, jordan!! wow!! what an illustrious list to join. lol

4:29 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

haha, i'm happy to be a member of that illustrious group!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to play, or not to play - that is not even a question.

we must play chess. i am too bad NOT to.

5:06 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

that's profound thomas!!! let's play!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home