Sunday, June 11, 2006

an overdue shave and a vigorous, sudzy facial scrub brings most exquisite pleasure (in spite of its mundane nature) after a long day frolicking in the heat, chasing small children, reading and listening to splendid music. and what could make it more special than spending last night on a strange couch? which, in after thought, was actually quite comparable to the familiar couch on which i have reclined and contorted for the past month. minus the ants.

yesterday my grandparent's were here. we had a fine hot time at the blueberry festival, at which i caught only a brief glimpse of a blueberry as it passed by me on a platter. the air was 104 degrees. i suspect the pavement was hotter. mine was the privilege of hearing "darcy" for the first, and possibly last time. darcy is a boy band, consisting of a few of my friends, especially nathan. i was deafened and impressed (which one most, i don't know). after visiting for the beginning of the weekend we decided it was best to pass our sickness from earlier in the week on to our dear relatives, who vomitted through the night, packed their belongings, and departed, laden with pans and barf bags.

after spending a couple of hours reading i went to victor and nathaniel and andreas' apartment. we watched a movie, played pool and video games, played guitars and sang, talked and drank orange juice. i never laid eyes on andreas the whole evening, even though he was there the whole time. i crashed on the couch, unconsciously precluding myself from participation in the family fun that started at about 3 a.m.

after church this morning, i finished my second book in four days. i will hesitantly throw out the titles "neverwhere" and "stardust", by neil gaiman. i say "hesitantly", because i do not recommend all the books by this english author, especially to those of you with more sensitive inclinations. i did rather like both of these books. if you enjoy a good story combining science fiction, fairy tales and humor, you might be interested.

phil keaggy was amazing. seriously. when i first found out he was coming to perform at fredonia hill, i didn't really pay much attention. a few of my friends were going. today i finally decided to go. boy am i glad i did. most of my readers won't remember the old fredonia hill days with ravenhill, brother and mrs dodson, and plenty of others. to tell the truth, i don't either, other than the stories i've heard. anyway, keaggy is from that generation (of the four-thirty prayer group i believe) with phenomenal guitar skills, and a voice i wouldn't wink at. i wish you'd been there. just get a cd, ok? this is my area of supposed expertise, right? maybe that's why i feel like not writing a review, because i won't feel that i gave the performance justice.

to all my friends and aquantainces and family and enemies and whoever else may happen by, have a great monday, and an even better week, followed by a superlative weekend. may the lord bless and keep you.

emolument \ih-MOL-yuh-muhnt\, noun:The wages or perquisites arising from office, employment, or labor; gain; compensation.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Thank you for the "well wishing" for the coming week!

I heard a Phil Keaggy concert a long time ago; I think I was actually about nine. My Dad's a phenomenal sound technician, and he was running the sound that night. Phil Keaggy's incredible and has one of the most beautifully humble spirits I've ever been blessed to meet. :)

Hope your week is equally blessed. Bye! :)

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I've always loved about Phil Keaggy - exceptionally talented but all he does is given to God's glory, humble, married 33 years, loving father.
How nice of you to wish your enemies a good Monday, but I really don't think you have any.

8:50 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

hahaha

3:56 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

Just thought I'd drop by and say hi real quick before I go feed my starving stomach.

I can just see it. One lonely,cold, deeply hued, burstingly plump blueberry on a huge white platter, being carried around in reverence on the shoulers of a clean shaven man with a suave step.

um yeah.

I heard of this phil keaggy concert, and I'm sad now that I missed.

Sounds like the costume is coming together. I sure do hope the boots fit. That's gonna be the hardest thing to find and get for a decent price. If they don't fit perhaps we can get some boots from goodwill and MAKE them look piratey.

Hmm black shirt. You could either go all black with black pants and then add a red sash or belt type something for some color. Or you could get some white pants for a little contrast.
I'm liking the black idea though.

I found a cool black sash at wally world. And I'm gonna buy that medalion if I can get around to it. One of us needs to wear it.

I think I should be able to make it that night. *fingers crossed eyes squinted* (Oh please oh please oh please)

If I'm giving unwanted help, by all means just tell me.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Jimmie Hindricks said that Phil Keaggy was the best quitarist ever. He just didn't get much respect because he played Christian music.

He is the best.

We'll be comin' down South soon!

6:44 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

cool beans. i'm impressed and pleased to hear that. he was amazing! :)

can't wait to see y'all!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home