Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tao Who?

today was an ordinary day of ordinaryness. i no longer have to place my order at chicken express. i just smile, and the girl says, "a number one with an extra biscuit?"

"for here," i reply. "let me guess, $5.40?"

"of course. but not for long. soon it's going to go up to $5.39, before tax. i think we're going to lose business."

which made me wonder... would i keep coming if i knew i would have to pay 40 extra cents? i suspect so, though perhaps i'd be more conscious of the already present fact that i can hardly justify either price when i could have a lovely pb&j, basically for free. i could have one every day, and save tons of money. or i could just keep going to chicken express 2 or 3 times a week.

not only do we now have a very prominent noose hanging from the center of the main bay of the shop, but a sales man came and tried to sell me knives and little monkeys that scream when you throw them or hit them. he threw one accross the room and i thought he was torturing a small cat. "just $4 a piece for 3, or 4 for $3 each! [and you can take them home for your little siblings and give mother the gift of misery and insanity]." now that's a deal if i ever heard of one. then we showed him the noose, and he showed himself out.

after work i got very philosophical over my java shake (they can do that you know) and read the "tao of pooh", by benjamin hoff. though it is not a source of spiritual enlightenment, a good humored perusal of this short book will certainly offer the pooh fan a few laughs and memories, not to mention a deeper understanding of the tao master's fuzzy, stuffy brain and his outlook on life.

as of today, i have run morethan 100 miles since school let out. i will not deny it... i'm... somewhat tired.

comity \KOM-uh-tee\, noun:1. A state of mutual harmony, friendship, and respect, especially between or among nations or people; civility.2. The courteous recognition by one nation of the laws and institutions of another.3. The group of nations observing international comity.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Your Chicken Express story really gave me a good laugh because I'm the same way. For about three years, I went into a Jamba Juice several times a week, always ordered the "orange berry blitz", always knew it was already in the blender as soon as the server saw me get out of my car, and always had the $3.91 in my hand before I ever reached the cashier. :)

Alas, however, all good things must come to an end. The Jamba Juice stores in San Antonio "went under", and I've just had to learn how to make my own now. :)

You're way ahead of me in your miles-per-summer. :) I think I'm only around 50 or so. (Okay, now that I'm humiliated, I'm going to go out for a jog...before I have to teach lessons for the next six hours.) :)

Good vocabulary word, by the way. :)

9:32 AM  
Blogger Bree said...

I had not had the pleasure of being introduced to Chicken Express untill about a month ago.

It was love at first sight ....or in this case ....bite.

I blameth you not one tittle.

The sales man story reminds me of that scene from Second hand lions.

Personally I don't know anyone who wouldn't want a screaming monkey. You did buy one of course didn't you? ;)

6:56 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

i have never had jamba juice. i am surely a deprived soul.

chicken express was not love at first sight for me. i despised it at first. want to go jogging some time? i actually found a buddy to run with for a few laps today. my left knee kind of hurts. hmmmm

8:31 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

Was the buddy human?

Are you asking if muah wants to go jogging some time? If so, Sure, absolutely. (I'd love to be humiliated and eat your dust) ;)

Now let me ask you.
Do you want to go skydiving some time?

If your answer is "sure, absolutely" well then that's fine and dandy but it doesn't mean it's gonna happen.:)

It's a little thing called "City limits" and "no license" (yet) that usually stops me from experiencing things in the "outside world" (Can you tell I like using "quotations"?)

Do you always run on Lanana (however they spell it) trail?

My left leg is the one I'm having trouble with too. Hope your knee starts feeling better.

11:58 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

as far as i know my buddy is human. he has 4 normal limbs, a torso, neck, head, etc. i have never actually asked his parents if he is in fact their child or if they adopted him from some other place...

i have never had much desire to go sky diving, though i've often wished that i wanted to.

i took medicine today, and my knee felt better. and i do not always run on lanana. just for a change of pace. lately i've been going after dark, or just getting dark (when it's cooler) and therefore have stayed at the track. a bit dangerous to brave the deep dark trail after night fall. unless you want to fall in the night.

though i understand how a driver's license would limit you, i don't quite get the "city limits" thing. lanana creek trail (and of course the sfa stadium, i.e. the track) is quite within the city limits. unless you mean that you must stay outside the city limits. that would be a very interesting restraint. unless it were brought on naturally by being outside the city limits and not having a driver's license. but i digress. majorly.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

The latter would be the correct assumption.

I have always wanted to go skydiving, even though I'm sure I'll be scared to death to do it.

Haha! For some reason when you said "running buddy" I just immediately thought of a dog. Perhaps I have watched Airbud one too many times.

A change of scenery is good. I know personally that running on a treadmill can get old real fast. Especially when there's no tv:)

"Never give up! Never surrender!"
The benefits of running in the morning are greatly superior to running in the evening.

I may however, take up your offer of jogging sometime perhaps after school starts if it is still extended and applicable.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home