Thursday, January 12, 2006

the working part of my break is officially over. i just shipped BallQube their last order...and i trust that payment will be forthcoming. and speaking of payments, i have something to spend it on now (besides school and fillings).

i'm going to use some of it for my guitar! ooh, i like the sound of that... my guitar. hahahhaa, anyway. so today i had a terrific guitar making session with steve. i do hope i wasn't too much of a nuisance by staying so long. i had to skeedaddle when billy got home. ;-) but we looked at a bunch of stuff today. steve showed me some sanding on the headpiece that he glued the ears on last week. then glued some veneers onto the top of the freshly sanded surface. also i watched him cut, fit and glue a bit of bracing to a guitar back, and clamp it with some wonderful go-bars. and i helped him cut and fit the bone nut for the same piece with the freshly glued ears and veneers. :-p understand, of course, that my watching and helping mainly entails listening, trying to think of intelligent questions which will help me in the future, and flipping switches. so far i have found it all quite enchanting, with the possible exception of the smell of bone dust which wrinkles my nose and conjures up memories and images of dr gandy's office with it's rows of tiny drills... needless to say, i can hardly wait to get started on a guitar of my own, or at least on a few scraps to start practicing.

today you might say i made the first step toward that "guitar of my own." we looked at a bunch of wood steve has in various nooks and crannies and closets. there were a great many fine specimens, which despite my quiet admiration had me almost drooling. i suspect steve may have been too, but they're already his afterall. it must be a dreadful and wonderful thing at the same time having all that beautiful wood and needing to wait patiently for the right customer. by golly, it must drive a poor soul crazy. with a little jerk back to reality, steve found an excellent african mahogany piece for me to get started with. much more conservative and less expensive than some of the exotic stuff, but beautiful none-the-less, and much better suited for a beginner's first instrument. then we looked through a stack of faces, while he listened to their tone by thumping, culled out the ones that weren't quite so good (or that were rather nice and he'd prefer i not have :-) at last with the options narrowed down to 4 or 5 of his recommendations i made my choice. shoot, now i can't even remember what kind of wood it is. but hey, it has my name on it now. thus i was introduced to W.A.S. that is, wood acquisition syndrome. *grins* so far there are no plans to seek medical help.

renascent \rih-NAS-uhnt\, adjective:Springing or rising again into being; showing renewed vigor.

3 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

What a hugely cool experience! When you get to be a master guitar maker, you can make me one. :-)

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jordan,
It WAS a fine session. The only reason you had to skeedaddle was that Billie and I were due at my folks for supper!
By the way, the top is Sitka spruce, and will be a fine guitar some day.

Steve

8:57 PM  
Blogger Luddie said...

cool

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home