Friday, June 23, 2006

Sweat

the past week has seen me drenched with sweat from crown to toe all day every day, until today. today a brisk breeze and minimal physical exersion reduced the wetness of my briny bath, while instead, my exposure adjusted the shade of my skin to something closer to a certain crustacean found in the seafood department of your local grocery store. monday through thursday i hauled brush from dale's allied lot. when i say "hauled brush" i mean used a machete, small loppers and a weedeater to clear enough brush (including everything from waste-high grass to 6 inch dogwoods, sweet-gums, etc.) to fill up your house. if you have a relatively small house... was there poison ivy? oh yes. i have a rash from my wrists to my elbows, and from my ankles to half-way up my shins. i was alarmed this morning to note a small blister forming on my left ring finger. i thought i was going to get away without any on my hands!!! robert says i should put vinegar on it and salt it thoroughly. sounds like a good way to kill a slug. crazy. so crazy... it just might work. this morning i experimentally tried it (in a furtive, self-conscious sort of way) on a patch on my wrist. i don't think it's my imagination that it's improving. i'll let you know how things turn out.

that about sums up the first four days of my week. i was rather too tired to make myself exercise after spending my days doing that. i only ran 4 miles on tues. that's it. i'm not ashamed.

today i went to crocket with robert to put up a sign. i got to operate the crane/bucket. with robert in it. heh. heh heh heh. ahem. we put up two sign faces for SHOE SHOW. their sign looks exactly like that, "SHOE SHOW." in red letters. how boring can you get?? they didn't even have a logo or anything. so, long bumpy ride to crocket, lobster roasting till noon, lunch at subway, more lobster roasting till 2, then another bumpy ride. the second ride seemed shorter. napping with a paper-towel roll pillow helps out like that.

y'all have a great weekend!


littoral \LIH-tuh-rul\, adjective:1. Of, relating to, or on a coastal or shore region, especially a seashore.2. A coastal region, especially the zone between the limits of high and low tides.

"Professor Henslow tells me, he believes that nearly all the plants which I brought from these islands, are common littoral species in the East Indian archipelago."-- Charles Darwin,
The Voyage of the Beagle

20 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I, too, am sporting the highly-fashionable "lobster look", at the moment. ONLY four miles this week? If I were you and had kept us with your physical output these past several days, I wouldn't ashamed in the least! :) Paper-towel roll pillows are quite brilliant little amenities of ingenuity. I've used them for years. (Once you get about twenty hours into a car drive to Tennessee, you're quite suddenly willing to sleep in any position, with any background noise, and with any accouterments.) :) Take care of yourself and keep enjoying your brother's/your friends. :) Ha...sounds a lot like my life. Bye!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Goodness...I hope I had enough typos in that! :) 'Should've read, "kept up" and "wouldn't be". By the way, lest I should sound as though I was mocking...the best friends in my life have been those that were shared by my family. Sleep well! :)

8:39 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

Perhaps it's time to sleep on the bathroom counter eh? ;)

9:13 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

hey hey, i'm glad you're not dissappointed that i only ran a fraction of my scheduled mileage.

one thing... i'm not sure if i missed something or what... but i honestly have no idea what you're talking about in reference to "mocking" and your best friends being those that were shared with your family. maybe i'll read it again in the morning and understand completely, at which point i will pretend to be highly offended that you would be so cruel and inconsiderate as to mock me or anyone i know, and then tell you i will let it slide, so long as it doesn't happen again.

9:20 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

excuse me??? what do you know about sleeping on the bathroom counter? how did you find out? i must have let it slip in an agonizing tale of a wretched night in the "water closet" with just me and my afflicted flesh.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Gracious fellow... :) I decided my first reference to "your brother's/your friends" might have seemed derogatory. You'll have to forgive this girl whose spiritual gift is exhortation; it makes me super-sensitive to what I say and how it's said. :) Well, I hope I'll never grow too old to have a good laugh at myself, at least. Let me know, tomorrow, if you'd like to pretend you've been highly offended--I'd be happy to oblige by pretending to be mortified and begging forgiveness. :) Bye for now!

P.S.
By the way, I'm pleased to report that profile views are on the rise tonight. I just gained an additional 23, for the first time in nearly a month, and Ludwhig's went up by 22, for the first time in what's seemed an eternity. (I was hoping all that information might help to lull you to sleep.) :) Okay, so enough with the numbers, right? I suppose I'm a perfect example of a child born to a sound technician/brilliant computer programmer father. :)

9:31 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

actually, i still don't see how i could be offended by "your brothers/your friends." instead, i'm beginning to feel angered that you didn't include my sisters! how dare you leave them out?!?

bye, brilliant number child.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm afraid I didn't know you had any. I'm the oldest of five children in my family--'have three brothers and one sister. What your family "line up"? :)

Don't assume that the child of a brilliant father (and mother, by the way) inherits the same intellectual gene pool. :) ...but I do find statistics, etc. rather fascinating. :)

10:02 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

48% of all statistics are useless.


As to the bathroom counter, I told you I know things about everyone.
My brother's not the only one with skills.

It was a tale told to a suffering child in her dire need for distraction from an inflamed arm.

I sympathize, deeply.

7:19 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

i have 3 brothers and 2 sisters.

48% are useless, but the other 53% are very useful...

i'm pretty sure my blog has become a discussion board. a discussion board consisting of 3 people. i enjoy your comments, i assure you, but where are all you other people??

8:14 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

'Sounds like a fine clan. :) (I wish my family had a few more kids...I miss having little ones around the house--the youngest is now six. How old is the youngest in your family?)

53%? :) I love the saying that 98% of all statistics are made up. :)

Perhaps, all the other folks are afraid poison ivy can be contracted by blogging contact. :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Bree said...

Some pictures for you and yourn:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/BreeBigHair/P5250155.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/BreeBigHair/P5250129.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/BreeBigHair/P5250126.jpg

I was sad when I later realized that I got no pictures of Bethany. I got a picture of her talking to Joy but you can't see her face.

9:48 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

i noticed you couldn't see my face either. why did you take a picture of the back of my head? i guess it's just as well. ;-P

11:00 AM  
Blogger Bree said...

Because it was convenient:) It's not that I have anything against your face, Oh no not that at all...*Ahem* It's just whenever I would think to take one, you were always far away and whatnot.(My new favorite word)

Besides it's unusual. Who wants pictures of the same ole same ole?

12:03 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

Not that your face is the same ole same ole, just the picture layout.

maybe I should just stop talking.

4:04 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

yeah, i would have to agree with you on that. ;)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

umm yeah, I should but I'm not going to. Ha!

I am however going to change the subject.

I got a reply from my Uncle and he said he's not interested at the moment. They are in the middle of building their house sooo, yeah.
He did wonder though, if maybe a pet store would be willing to buy them from you or something. hmmm? Perhaps something you could call around and find out about.

5:54 PM  
Blogger quirky said...

yeah, i've been doing that. i think discovery realm might be willing to take my python, but i don't know about the other one. and they usually give store credit, not cash. but i found a person with lots of pets who is willing to buy my store credit from me since they need to buy pet food and supplies there on a regular basis anyway.

but thanks for asking him! i appreciate that.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

We're still here, young Padawan. It's just that some of us are more dedicated commenters than others.

It was great to see you and your kin last week. We will definitely be seeing ya in this alternative existence - the blogsphere.

5:30 AM  
Blogger quirky said...

ahaa! it was good to see y'all too! of course josh was missed. i certainly need to get back on top of my blog visiting so i can find out about your distant travels. lata.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home